Thursday, June 11, 2009

a beautiful gift for a beautiful person


My dear neighbor Allison is moving to Colorado. Although their move has been in the works for months and the moving van already packed them up, it didn't really sink in until last night that this friend is going to be gone in just a couple of days. Another neighbor proposed the idea of creating a collaborative quilt for Allison and 23 book club friends and neighbors - many who had never sewn a single stitch - created a square to incorporate into the final product. My camera was out of batteries as Allison opened the quilt so I only could snap this one mediocre shot. It's a stunning work of art - and a great tribute to how beautiful and loved this one woman is.


I spent a long time thinking about what I wanted to do for my square. My main goal was to make it as beautiful and happy as possible because that is how Allison makes people feel. It is her special gift. She always has a smile and a hug and an ability to make you feel like she is incredibly happy to see you anytime you walk by or get together. She is also a fabulous gardener. I look forward to seeing her poppies bloom every spring. I thought this Proust quote summed her up well: Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.

I will miss her so much.

5 comments:

Andrew said...

What a unique gift. That's very cool.

And I could be wrong, but it sure looks like your lovely square is rather front and center in the quilt!

dbirkey said...

Oh, Amy, even I will miss Alison and I've only met her a few times!!! You captured her with your quilt square. Bright and sunny and artistically beautiful. Give her a hug for me. (or is it too late?!)

Shell in your Pocket said...

Very wonderful quilt!
sandy toe

prairievisiondesign : handmade said...

your square made me gasp, Amy!

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

thanks, Ann. I just learn from watching my friends. :)