Saturday, April 5, 2008

the magic bed

Last night Liam had his first sleepover at grandma's house. I was a little worried about how it would go since he is usually very attached to me at night. But the sleepover went off without a hitch. In fact, as Liam told my mom before he went to sleep, "I love this place. I love everything about this place."

As I learned in the morning when Liam called me with the news, his pure satisfaction with my mom's "place" was, in large part, due to her magic bed.

"Mom," Liam breathlessly related to me on the phone the next morning. "I slept in a magic bed!"

"Really?"

"Yes! Grandpa John took the bed out of the couch!"

He was absolutely (and still remains) in awe of the bed that popped out of couch. Now if someone "popped" a bed out of a couch for me, I'd be thinking about how thin and short the mattress was, how I was not going to have the best night's sleep. For a 3 year old (nearly 4!), the world is filled with things to marvel over. Yesterday this included the daffodil sprouts emerging from the dirt in front of our house, the giant pile of leaves dad raked from the backyard, the birthday candle he positioned in a wooden bead and convinced me to light for "just one minute," the way he can hit the wiffle ball across the street and the way dad can hit it even farther. Every new sight and sound and experience is met with pure glee. More and more I am starting to see that a big part of my job as a mom is to help keep the wonder alive. Really, we should all be walking around in total awe of the daily miracles. Thank you, Liam, for waking us up a little. And, thanks, mom, for pulling out the magic bed.

No comments: