Thursday, April 24, 2008

more than coincidence

I almost named this post "pray for Gabe" because that's what's been in front of me all day long. This week our neighbors found out that their sweet, brave little almost-two-year-old son, who has been undergoing chemo for leukemia for the last four months, has to endure another six months of this awful (yet potentially curing) poison because the cancer never went into remission. It is devastating and horrifying and it makes no sense at all. And for those who know and love this family, it is difficult to get through the day without feeling lost and useless. But this morning some of the moms came together to pray for Gabe and his family who returned to the hospital today to begin the chemo again. It reminded me of the profound truth that we were created for love and to love - to love God and to love each other. And to do so each requires every bit of us. For some reason, the greatest commandment always sounded easy to me, but it is the most painful thing ever. And also the most beautiful.

Earlier in the week Andrew asked me to be on the worship team at church this Sunday because he was short on singers. So I went to rehearsal tonight and was awed by how the song choices totally aligned with the hopeful sadness of the day. I couldn't have come up with a better soundtrack for the agonizing reality of pain in life coupled with the absolutely awesome power of love. Here's the line up. Please have a listen (and forgive the cheesy videos) and please pray for Gabe.

Love's the Only House from Martina McBride
...Love's the only house big enough for all the pain in the world
Love's the only house big enough for all the pain...

One from U2
...Love is a temple
Love's the higher law
You ask me to enter
Then you make me crawl
I can't be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt
One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should
One life
With each other
Sisters, brothers
One life
But we're not the same
We get to carry each other
Carry each other...

Who Am I from Casting Crowns
...Who am I?
That the Lord of all the earth,
Would care to know my name,
Would care to feel my hurt....
...I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow.
A wave tossed in the ocean,
A vapor in the wind.
Still you hear me when I'm calling,
Lord you catch me when I'm falling,
And you told me who I am.
I am yours....

Blessed Be Your Name from Matt Redmond
...Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name
Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name...

No comments: