First, I had Liam come up with an idea for the t-shirt design. This is the drawing he presented to me, the two-headed monster.

Next we ironed the chartruse tank and traced the drawing onto a sheet of double-stick lite fusible web. After sticking the traced drawing onto the wrong side of the tank fabric, I cut it out and then positioned the pieces onto the blue t-shirt (hiding the obnoxious stain) and ironed. I let Liam have at it with the fabric paints, filling in the details on his monster and then guided his hand as we traced the outline. As a final touch, he picked out "eyes" for me to sew on. And, voila!


Creating the shirt was such a blast, we designed another one today for his friend Eden who will be celebrating her birthday tomorrow. For inspiration, we drew from the cover of the Eric Carle book The Very Lonely Firefly.

This time we purchased a clean, stain-free shirt, but we cut the dragonfly out of an old tie-dye t-shirt I found at a rummage sale this spring. (I plan to spend a lot more time at resale store and garage sales searching for plain kids' t-shirts because it feels so good to recycle!)

Being that this one is a gift, I did a little more guiding on the outlines, but Liam still feels very proud of having "made" Eden's shirt. I think both shirts are pretty adorable!

2 comments:
Amy, I LOVE your t-shirt idea!! That's great...and what a fun gift to give too!
very creative and quite cute!
Post a Comment