Thursday, July 2, 2009

eat your veggies

A couple other bloggers I like have written about kale chips recently. I discovered them when I was part of a CSA years ago and now make them nearly every week of the summer. Since they got a big stamp of approval from my college friend who is here visiting with her husband this week, I figured you should know about them, too. Kale chips are light and crispy and make me imagine what it might be like to eat autumn leaves, but don't let that deter you. They are really good. So good, in fact, that I made a big batch of them today and in less than five minutes we had eaten them all, straight off the pan.

Kale Chips
Wash and de-stem a bunch of kale. (We prefer the curly leaf kind, called Russian Kale, because it crisps up the best.) Cut the leaves into tortilla-size pieces. Spread the kale out on a rimmed cookie sheet. Pour some olive oil in your hands and toss the kale around. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, tossing once or twice. Eat 'em up.

1 comment:

Fluid Direction said...

Awesome. We'll have to try them.

I make "smoothilicious" with Kael (and spinach and oranges, etc.) I love it but can't get my family to buy into it. I hear Kael is the most nutrious veggie on earth.

Jack