Monday, September 22, 2008

favorite things :: folding

Several years ago when my brother was engaged, I attended a bridal shower for my sister-in-law where one of the games was a quiz to see how well my future sister-in-law knew my brother's interests and preferences. One of the few questions she missed was this, "What is Rob's favorite chore?" The quiz had been administered to my brother before the shower so the hostess would have his actual answers on hand. I can't remember what my sister-in-law answered, but I do remember what my brother had said, which was "wiping the counters." Spoken like a true bachelor.

I imagine by now my brother has become privy to a whole new world of chores, a world where wiping the counters goes hand in hand with filling the dishwasher, washing the pots and pans and cleaning the kitchen. Truthfully, I prefer my brother's take on chores. If I could pick and choose, this would be my list, the only things I'd do: fold the laundry (but definitely not put it away), sweep the floor (but just into a pile), cook the meals (but not do the shopping or clean up after) and, I guess, wipe the counters. As you can see, like my brother, I'm not big on chores.

The one chore, though, that I prefer to do, dare I say, like to do, is fold. I love the warm, clean clothes, the zen-like process, the neat, organized stacks. I love that I can't do anything else while I fold. Can't eat, can't respond to email, can't read. I can't even really watch TV because I get so distracted. That's because most of all, I love to hold my boys' tie-dye t-shirts and dinosaur pajamas and think about how cute and funny they are and how much I love them (the kids not the clothes). It's sappy, I know, but in a really busy day, it's some of the only still reflection time I get.

Now if I could just get me a wife who would happily sort, fill and empty the washer and dryer and put the clothes away. If I had that, laundry wouldn't even be a chore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We should team up. I like to do the laundry but I hate to fold it and put it away. I guess if you folded it, I wouldn't mind putting it away though...

I'm in Berkeley, is this impractical?

Ooh, I also like meal planning and cooking but not shopping or cleaning up.