Tuesday, September 23, 2008

love notes


While Liam was at preschool and Elliott was crawling around the porch chewing on books, I cleaned up the art corner. One of my big tasks was to straighten the pile of papers that had accummulated over the last couple months. Sifting through to find what could be recycled and what should be saved, I came across sheet after sheet of writing that began, "LIAM LOVES" and variations on the sentiment, including "LIAM I LOVE" and, simply, "I LOVE." In fact, every page with writing was a love note. Most included "Ava," the name of the girl across the street, and many included "mom" and "dad," and a few (which would have required dictation) included "Elliott." Maybe he only puts these words together because they (other than Elliott) are the complete quotient of words he can write and spell entirely on his own. But I think there's more to it. Although he can be bossy and competitive, easily frustrated and argumentative, Liam is a lover. He loves his mom, his dad, his brother and Ava. Particularly Ava. And if they should wonder about it 20 years down the road, no worries. We have the notes to prove it.

No comments: