Sunday, September 7, 2008

what we're making



:: Books :: I picked up this idea from a couple different sources and it has totally revived Liam's interest in drawing. Basically, I cut several wide strips of paper and fold in half to make a little book. Then I cut a slightly larger cover out of kraft paper or a paper grocery bag, punch two holes in the spine and tie with yarn to make a little book. (Stapling the spine works, too.) I am trying to keep a little stack of these blank books by the art supplies because for some reason if I say, "Why don't you go draw something?" that's a boring suggestion but if I say, "Why don't you go make a book?" I get a big smile, a "Yeah!" and a knee slap. Best of all, I get a stash of little Liam books in return.


:: Faces :: There's something about a cape in this house. All drama. That's because being a superhero is serious business. And it cracks me up.

:: Progress :: Today Elliott climbed up on his knees to get his car off of the couch. I wish I had a photo to show the precious moment but we were too busy clapping and cheering like lunatics. He also pushed up on his hands and knees and rocked for a while. I missed it, but Andrew gave me the play by play. It's funny that although I recorded most of Liam's milestones in a baby book, I feel like they were marked with a simple, "Good job, buddy!" and a proud smile. I don't remember near the thrill we feel with Elliott. Maybe it's because that in addition to excitement, every bit of Elliott's progress brings relief.

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

The books are such a great idea. Another thing to file away for future things to do with Malia. I think I have said it before but I will say it again, you are such a fun and creative mom.

Anonymous said...

So, my dear Amy...I was at yet another church meeting tonight. I came home to a sleeping house and felt a bit 'wired' so I turned on my computer like any good woman would do...Your blog popped in my head because you have been on my mind this week and I realized that I hadn't been here for a while. I have just spent the last 45 min. reading. You are AMAZING! I love who you are..you are so beautiful from the inside out. Your writings do such an incredible job of capturing your heart..which I see and love. Thanks for taking the time to let us into your world. It has been the best spent 45 minutes i've lived in a long time. xoxoxo