Monday, May 12, 2008

(not) capturing the moment


Yesterday was Liam's birthday and we didn't remember to take a single photo. I was really bummed out when I realized we'd let all the photo ops slip by. I'd like to chalk it up to living the moment rather than capturing it. But I think maybe we were just in a banana cake stupor. It's such a great birthday cake, I can't bring myself to make anything else.

Banana Cake

2 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. butter
4 eggs
1 c. sour cream
2 tsp. baking soda
3 c. flour
1 T. vanilla
5-6 very ripe bananas, mashed

Preheat the over to 350. Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans and set aside. Cream together sugar and butter. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well. Mix in the sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture and beat well. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla and mix well. Divide evenly between the prepared cake pans. Bake 30-35 minutes, swapping pans around in the oven halfway through baking. Cool a few minutes, remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.

Mocha Frosting

6 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. brewed, strong black coffee

Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder in large bowl. Add softened butter and mix on low speed until incorporated. Add coffee and mix until smooth.

===
As for Liam's thoughts on turning four, the fact still hasn't sunk in. This morning he said to me, quite concerned, "Mom, I still feel like I'm three."

That's funny, I still feel like I'm twenty-five. Welcome to the club, honey.

1 comment:

Karen said...

YUM!!

Happy Birthday Liam!