Monday, May 18, 2009

the bordoni boys and too much birthday

Last week on a trip to the library we picked up the picture book The Bearnstein Bears and Too Much Birthday. Considering our plans for the weekend, the title seemed a little ominous. Last night as I lay on the couch, 2 house parties, 48 cupcakes, 1 triple banana layer cake (a birthday MUST), 3 batches of frosting, 7 cans of silly string, 10 bubble wands, 20 diet coke geysers, a giant pile of wonderful birthday presents and many memories of dear friends and family later, I decided I could have written that book.


Saturday, we hosted a mad scientist party for Liam and his friends. I will readily admit that I "stole" the idea from another great blog. And I completely forgot to take photos during the instant snow and atomic slime making, which is a bummer because the scientists all looked so darn cute in their safety goggles, stretching and fake sneezing their florescent green slime. The decorate your own cupcake time, with gummy worms and all other forms of junky candy and sprinkles was a big hit, as well. Most of the resulting creations went uneaten (collective mom sigh).




The biggest excitement of the afternoon was when we set off the diet coke geysers. Eleven screaming kids and one soaked dad was quite a sight! Here is the video that enticed us to do this. Warning: it's kind of addictive. I have never bought diet coke in my life and I am already contemplating my next purchase.



Yesterday we hosted a family party, which centered around food and presents and cake, of course. This morning my dining room floor is still covered in chocolate cupcake crumbs and the the pile of garbage at the curb tomorrow will be embarrassing. But, hey, you only turn 5 and 2 once in the same month.


Now we're off for a bike ride.


For walking practice in squeaky shoes.


And to find some time to finish the happy birthday banner. This year there was just too much birthday.