Sunday, December 7, 2008

unsung heroes

I recently read about a "woman of the year"-type contest in a mothering magazine and started thinking about who I would nominate. Truth is, it's tough because I know so many incredible women. But I've decided that I could boil it down to two. Neither of these women would want the spotlight. Although I'm sure both of them would love to be able to hand over the winnings - $35k to the charity of their choice. I would nominate them both.

1 :: Chicago blogger and mom Alysa who I have met twice (as I occasionally work on projects with her husband). The only time I have ever cried reading a webpage - tears literally streaming down my face - is when reading Alysa's blog. And in the past few weeks it has happened almost every time. See, Alysa and her family sponsored a refugee family through World Relief and it has been the most tremendous, heart-rending, real-life story I have followed in a long time, maybe ever. (Read this older post and this recent post and see what I mean!) I love this family! Both Alysa's and her Iraqi refugee family. Nothing portrays a clearer picture of God's love in action. Nothing. I also appreciate that Alysa is totally transparent about the fact that she is not a perfect mom. Woman of the year should definitely not be a perfect mom, because we all know that woman would be lying.

2 :: My precious cousin Kristin. I hardly even know where to begin with this woman. Ubermom of three young girls, incredibly capable, influential political maven, brilliant multitasker, respected and regularly called-upon older sister, who was handed the cup of advocate, caretaker, nurse and prayer warrior for husband with serious, life-threatening cancer. This woman (although I'm quite certain she would argue me) is grace personified. All morning I sat with her in the ICU at Ray's bedside while she confidently and ably questioned, discussed, bartered and advocated with doctors and nurses as brilliantly as any ER resident, and then tenderly rubbed Ray's feet, flipped through her Blackberry to check emails and filled me in on the details of the past week, all after sleeping the night on two hard plastic chairs pushed together. And she still had her girls' day at home scheduled down to the gift wrapped and ready and transportation secured for the birthday party her 6-year-old was attending this afternoon. No one juggles balls while wading through grief and uncertainty - and still finds a way to laugh at mishaps and forgive herself for failings - like Kristin. And on top of it all, she is encouraging us with her daily emails (which can all be read on their family blog) - a phenomenal testimony of her and Ray's incredible faith. And, she's no picture perfect mom either. But she is undeniably real.

I know there are many, many more women-of-the-year in our midst. These are just two of the ones I've become closest to virtually and personally. Get to know an awesome woman in your world. Her blessing is bound to rub off.

2 comments:

Alysa said...

Amy, you are so, so kind. Your words are generous. This post made me cry. Thank you for your encouragement. And, I quickly jumped on Kristin's blog (and added it to my favorites) and started to read it and began to cry. So, I had to put it away for now (as Jackson was dropped peanuts into his water bottle - ahhh) .... and will read it later tonight. She seems like one amazing lady.

Carmen said...

well said my friend, well said - she is an unsung hero of faith