Sunday, February 1, 2009

25 things

This feels slightly vain to me, but I gave in and wrote this list on Facebook after several friends had "tagged" me. For all the work it took to come up with 25 random things about myself, I figured I may as well post it here, too.

1. I make a lot of lists and a lot of piles. Neither seem to improve my organizational deficiency.

2. I do not save phone numbers in my phone. I save them in my head.

3. I met my husband via email (at the prompting of a very dear friend). We fell in love and both knew we were meant to be together weeks before we ever met in person. We were right.

4. I have never had a cavity.

5. As a child, when I lived with my mom, I camped out at motocross tracks on Sundays, skied competitively, ate raw cookie dough, watched soaps after school and made my own dinner most nights. When I lived with my dad, I went to church Sundays, did chores, rarely ate between meals or watched TV and sat down for a family dinner nearly every night. As a result, I had a fairly confusing childhood, but I adapt to new situations very easily.

6. I wish I had been born on a farm.

7. I have three fractured vertebrae in my back. Two were fractured when I jumped off a 50-foot bridge into a river (following after 10 guys) at age 20, and the third was fractured in a fall down my basement stairs at age 40. I downplayed the first injury so much (although the pain was excruciating) that I never even knew about the fractures until my back was x-rayed in the emergency room after the basement stair fall. Oh, to be 20 and crazy again!

8. My mom sent me to finishing school when I was a freshman in high school. I do not remember a single thing.

9. I have a tattoo.

10. Until I found my home with Andrew, the only places I have ever felt totally at home - Palmer Lake, CO, Speculator, NY, Nairobi, Kenya, and Paris, France - are nowhere near the places I have lived.

11. I loved everything about giving birth (especially the beautiful boys I got to bring home). I would do it at least two more times if I had started younger.

12. I have a tendency to overreact and sigh a lot, which may be why one of Andrew's nicknames for me is "Mrs. Drama."

13. I jumped out of an airplane once. I don't plan to do it again.

14. I have never met a single one of my in-laws.

15. I wish I were more glamorous, but I can barely find time for basic hygiene.

16. I have a very high pain threshold. See #7, #9 and #11.

17. I almost never finish a book and have 5 to 10 partially read books next to my bed at any given time.

18. I loathe talking on the phone. (But chances are I know your phone number by heart - see #2.)

19. I rarely envy someone's stuff; I envy the absence of stuff. But getting rid of the little things that clutter my home is tough for me. I am too sentimental.

20. The unconditional, adoring love of my grandparents and time spent with them was the absolute best thing about my childhood.

21. If I had unlimited free time, I would take piano lessons (and practice), make all of my own clothes, write poetry and practice yoga on a very regular basis, plant a huge garden and cook a delicious meal for a different person or family every night.

22. I think a lot about homeschooling my kids. I never thought I would think about this.

23. I love what I do to earn money, but most of the time I don't like doing it.

24. Although I had a strong faith and was very active in church in high school and college, I wanted nothing to do with church for many years after I graduated. My incredibly loving, once-atheist, unchurched husband and a wonderful body of Methodists brought me back.

25. The greatest gift I have on earth is my family. There is nothing I enjoy more than being with them.

4 comments:

dbirkey said...

. . . and I thought I knew you! Reading through this underlines my love for you and it causes me to reflect on the mystery and beauty inherent in each person.

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

thanks, Deb. xo

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful peek inside!

Anonymous said...

#17. I am so there.