After lots of hugs and excited running around at my aunt Debbie's house where we had our reunion, we loaded up the car and headed home to bed. On the way, I quizzed Liam about his activities and routines in Wisconsin. When I finally asked, "What was your number one favorite thing you did while you were gone?," he gleefully shouted out, without a moment's hesitation, "Going to McDonald's!"
Apparently he hit the fast food joint three times in five days: once while traveling to the lake house with aunt Jamie, once while he was there with Papa and Gigi and a final time while traveling home with aunt Jamie and uncle Mark. The last stop was the best because he found not four chicken nuggets in his Happy Meal, but six! A sheer gold mine. I don't doubt he swallowed them whole.
Although I wonder if I am depriving my kids a bit by avoiding drive-thru windows and refusing to eat out of bags and boxes, I am glad it's so easy for aunts and uncles and grandparents to be heros to a five year old. I'd still prefer if tubing or reading with Papa or eating corn on the cob topped the list of best lake house memories, but there's still time. I doubt McDonald's will even make the list next year.
Oh, and in case there's any question as to whether Liam missed his family back home, this is a drawing he made for me while we were driving in the car this morning. When you're five, "the world" is small and it sure is good to be part of it again. Welcome back, buddy.

1 comment:
Sarah's in KC this week, visiting Grandmother. And...they have already hit McDonald's.
Post a Comment