Monday, November 15, 2010

dessert for healthy breakfast


After a weekend out of the kitchen, I woke with an uncontrollable urge to bake (correction: eat something baked). Since we were missing key ingredients for our morning standbys, all could think of was apple crisp. I figured if I cut down the butter and sugar, changed up white flour with wheat and added some healthy stuff, it might pass as a healthy breakfast. The verdict: Elliott couldn't be bothered with a spoon and ate his bowlful with his hands. Liam (not a big morning person) exclaimed, "You are the best mom, ever!" And after two servings topped with greek yogurt at breakfast, I finished the pan for lunch. (If you're not like me, and you don't have a big bag of crystalized ginger in your cupboard, I'm sure the crisp will still taste delicious without it. If you are like me, and still don't have a big bag of crystalized ginger in your cupboard, I'm sure you'll find some other strange yet strangely appropriate ingredient to add.)

Apple Breakfast Crisp
4 apples, peeled and sliced
2 T crystalized ginger, chopped
1 T agave or maple syrup
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 T flax seed meal
1 T oat bran
2 T brown sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t salt
1/2 stick chilled butter
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped

Stir together apples, ginger and agave (or maple) syrup and pour into buttered 8 (or 9) inch square pan. In another bowl mix oats through salt. Cut butter into small pieces and use pastry cutter or fork (or, if really desperate, hands) to combine into oat mixture until crumbly. Cover apples with oat mixture and top with nuts. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. If you can, eat it warm.

1 comment:

Jacki said...

Okay, another 'printer' and in my recipe files. Yum!