
Last spring I collected and cut up more than a dozen sweaters to make a patchwork sweater blanket. This month I gathered up the remaining scraps and, voila, teacher gifts! Between my two sons, we had 15 - oh, yes, 15! - teachers and therapists to show some Christmas love. And we had zero dollars to spend.

Almost all of our gifts were sweater coffee cozies. I used a fancy stitch on my grandma's wonderful Bernina and guesstimated how to creatively sew some scraps together to fit a to-go cup. Each then got a button or two. If spending had been an option, we would have tossed a coffee shop gift card in the cup. Instead, we got creative and mixed up our favorite cocoa, bagged an individual serving and attached the recipe and a little candy cane.

For Liam's wonderful, special teacher (who he has blessedly been with for two years), I made fingerless gloves from the sleeves of a beautiful white sweater. She has a lot of style and loves stores like Ruche and Anthropologie, so the mismatched buttons were the perfect finishing touch.
I see a lot of sweater scrap sewing in my future. Maybe even an Etsy store. Stay tuned!

2 comments:
Love all of it Amy!!
What lucky recipients you had on your list this year!!
Hope to see you all on New Year's Eve.
Amy .. Those fingerless gloves are beautiful! And I'm sure if they were sold at Anthropologie, they'd go for about $55 a pair. :) Love the cozy coffee holders, too .. I'm sure your homemade cozy, cocoa and recipe meant more to those teachers than a gift card to a coffee shop every could. Just lovely!
Post a Comment