
I almost didn't post a picture of this recipe because, well, it probably doesn't look like the greatest thing you've ever eaten. You probably don't imagine you'll be dreaming about this salsa or throwing tortilla chip bags in your grocery basket on a daily basis. Prepare to be surprised.
I made this salsa for our neighborhood block party this past weekend. It honestly was gone in the first 30 minutes, and that was before anyone even started eating. And I made a double batch. And there were still lots of chips left.
People ate this salsa with a spoon. And if you were at this block party and never even saw this salsa, you can blame the first five neighbors there. They ate it all, and they didn't even feel bad about it.
Since I was sharing with my neighbors and only had a taste of the salsa - I'm nice like that - I made another batch last night for me and Andrew. Well, it was just going to be for me, but Andrew looked at me with his puppy dog eyes. So I took the bowl out of my lap and gave him some. We ate the entire batch.
The salsa is adapted from a little type-written recipe I picked up at our favorite Heritage Prairie Market. My goal was to use up odd CSA veggies that were about to rot in my fridge. Am I ever glad that I did.
Cucumber Avocado Salsa
1 medium cucumber, diced
1 avocado, ripe but firm, diced
1 banana pepper, diced
1/2 fennel bulb, diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 t honey
1/4 t kosher salt
Get a good knife and do some therapeutic chopping. Stir all the ingredients together. Find some good chips or eat with a spoon. You'll be really glad that you did.

2 comments:
Hadn't had time to read this but we're so looking forward to it!!!
Hmmmmm, I think I missed that at the neighborhood party. No one confessed until I read it in print! Haha
Post a Comment