Friday, October 28, 2011

friday haiku {and a recipe}


alchemy of soup
carrots, lentils, rice and broth
says all will be well

::

Lentil and Brown Rice Soup

I looked back through all my recipe posts, and I can't believe I've never shared this. When the weather turns, I make this soup. All. The. Time. Love that it uses pantry staples and inexpensive veggies and, other than a little chopping, takes almost zero effort. Plus, you can adapt it and add other root veggies you have on hand. Today I threw in some golden beets. Cheap, easy, healthy comfort food at its best.

1 cup lentils
1/2 cup brown rice
3 cups broth
4 cups water
2 t. salt
1/2 t. oregano
1/4 t. thyme
1/4 t. fresh ground pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 can diced or whole tomatoes
1 T. cider vinegar

Put all ingredients except tomatoes and vinegar in a pot. Heat to boiling, reduce to simmer and cover; 45 minutes. Stir in tomatoes (break up if using whole) and vinegar. Simmer another 10-15 minutes. Ladle in bowls and sprinkle with parmesan.

2 comments:

Cara said...

I love when you post recipes I can make tomorrow. :) I'm assuming this would be great in crock pot while we're trick-or-treating.
--Cara

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

Good idea! Would be yummy and leftovers make a nice lunch.