Sunday, January 1, 2012

the best of 2011, a chance to vote and a little giveaway

A few days ago, while searching for a recipe on my blog, I got caught up reading through my posts this past year. I found myself thinking, "That was the best new recipe," "That was the best vacation," "That was the best moment with Elliott," and so on. But I couldn't pick a haiku. I like too many of them. And that gave me an idea. I would love to hear which haiku was/is your favorite.

So, to entice you to choose one, I am offering a little gift to one of my readers who does. Here's how you could win: Simply read through the Friday Haikus from 2011 by clicking here, and pick your favorite. Then, in the comments of this post, let me know which haiku you like best (by sharing the date). Next Sunday, January 8, I will randomly pick a winner from all the commenters. The lucky reader will receive one of my handmade reversible tote bags and a couple books of my favorite poetry. I'll probably throw in an upcycled coffee cozy and a Starbucks card for good measure. So be sure to comment!

In the meantime, here are a few of my favorites from the blog in 2011. Happy reading, or rereading, as it were.

:: Best new recipe. I consider this our detox cookie, or at least one to feel good about.

:: Best handmade item. I don't wear it much, but whipping it up was a very happy thing.

:: Best lesson learned. Standing by as your child undergoes frightening and painful experiences is horrible, but sometimes the best you can do.

:: Best vacation. Two days with family, rejuvenating and redeeming.

:: Best letter from my son. It wasn't sent to me directly, but I loved it just the same.

:: Best parenting moment. Or at least the best one to write about.

:: Best three words. My favorite developmental milestone so far.

Now onto 2012! Look forward to hearing your haiku favorites.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

October 20, 2011 And not that you asked, but I love it because it captures what it's like to be in love...and a little unsure of what the future holds. xxoo Jae

stracey2010 said...

my pick would be Saturday, August 27, 2011 because it reminds me of the applesauce my grandparents used to make

Beth K. said...

Oct. 28 and the Alchemy of Soup. You tend to your family and friends with the magic healing of your cooking and baking. You dream for a farm? You are already the Florence Nightengale of Farmers!! xobk

Anonymous said...

Friday, August 19 because I love Wisconsin vacations. :)
~janet

Andie Romano said...

when you feel alone
pour out your life, instead of
a drop, an ocean
Friday, October 14, 2011

Loved reading through them, thanks!

Unknown said...

October 14, 2011

I couldn't have expressed the last year better. Just when I felt that I'd be alone, so many stepped up, shared their love and helped me through.

sheli geoghan-massie said...

i would say your sons phobias....love. right there with ya babe.

Anonymous said...

Well it was a little difficult, because I liked them all, but I chose Oct. 7, 2011 because you can't go wrong with Wendell Berry.

Anonymous said...

How can you beat Sept. 3rd!

And who would ever think a $2 ape would be a waste of money?

-Denton & Kyle

Lori Keller said...

After much debate my vote is for September 30th. I can't decide who is enjoying the moment more the donkey or Elliot. Envisioning him gleefully stealing a pear to feed the donkey and the idea of a "farm misdemeanor" makes me giggle. Lori

Anonymous said...

Love them all and your other postings but this is my favorite:

bare, brown horizon
give me ugly days, the way
to see through forests

Happy New Year Amy, looking forward to your 2012 blog!
Christine R.

Randy L said...

August 27th. I can hear, see, feel, smell, and taste this one.

AmyA said...

July 15th is my favorite, so true for all new beginnings. Wonderful to read all of them again! Love Amy

kelly said...

Loved them all but I 'm going to say oct 20!

Emily said...

So easy because I love this one so much I still repeat "inhale, exhale, grown" to myself all the time. June 24th

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

I wish these comments had a "like" button because I would say LIKE to every single one of them! Thank you, friends. Your comments make my day.

Andrew said...

It's a tough choice - so many good ones. My top - at this moment, any way - is August 5. So true.

Chrissy said...

September 30th is so great. I know I would have felt like a rebel for doing that!

Liz W said...

There's something about September 3rd.

But i love so many.

sheri glewen said...

I think I will choose Nov. 26--oh Amy you are very talented! Remember me?--I am Vanessa's mom and we met at her birthday party. :) We lead parallel lives....I sew and find wool sweaters and make soup and cookies and you can come to my farm any time. :)

Katie Johnson said...

I have to say: I love the alchemy of soup b/c it describes why we do what we do...food is not just food but a way to say, "I love you."

K

Anonymous said...

So many good ones--but Saturday August 27th stands out. Many people would pick over and discard the blemished ones--you always find the good! Love you Amy, Kristen