One of the best compliments I ever receive is when people tell me I remind them of my grandma Gaye. It is true that I inherited her height and her slender build, her deep love for family and her fondness for all things farm. But, perhaps, where I find her most in my life is in my cooking. Like my grandma, I am kind of a stickler about feeding my kids whole foods and seriously limiting the sugar. However, if I were really my grandma, I'd be grinding my own grain into flour and refusing to allow a stitch of sugar into my home. But let's be serious people, this is the 21st century in the suburbs.
My dad and his siblings love to joke about the cookies my grandma used to make. She would take a recipe and make it healthy, which meant replacing the white flour with whole wheat, the sugar with honey and the chocolate with raisins. Her children were not fans of her cookies. In fact, I believe they all felt a little deprived in the dessert department growing up.
But I understand my grandma. I've eaten her cookies. I didn't think they were so bad.
My son, in the short time he had with my grandma, adored the woman. He also politely ate her cookies, which is why I supposed he wouldn't mind when I finally broke down the other day and made some chocolate chip cookies with whole wheat flour and honey and packed them with zucchini.
I have to admit I didn't love these cookies at first, but I think they got better with age. Because when you don't keep a plethora of desserts in the house and rarely make sweet things, even a zucchini cookie is quite the treat.
Liam took his first bite and eyed me warily.
"Does this have honey in it?" he asked.
"Yep," I replied.
Another bite.
"Does it have zucchini in it?" he asked semi-shocked.
"Yes," I answered cautiously.
Another bite.
"Mom," he said with a surprised smile. "These are awesome!"
Not the response I was expecting. But what a coup. Even though I didn't grind the flour myself, I believe my grandma would be proud.
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from a recipe by Camille Kingsolver in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
1 egg
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup mini chocolate chips
Combine egg, oil, honey, brown sugar and vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients and add to batter. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips. Drop spoonfuls on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Makes 3 dozen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Amy--glad to see you are baking and blogging about it. Let's be old ladies on a farm some day--I will clean if you cook--
Zucchini in cookies?! Nothing wrong with that!
It's not much of a stretch from carrot cake or zucchini bread. Probably would be awesome with some nutmeg.
These are some of my favorites right now. Yum!
Post a Comment