Hi Andrew and Amy,
I just wanted to check in with you to see if there is anything going on with Elliott lately. He has been making a lot of faces and needing to put things in his mouth. He is chewing on gloves, hats, his shirt sleeves, licking his hand and tissues. It is very difficult to get him to focus on any work as well. I have been doing a lot of assessing this past week and he had difficulty remembering his letter sounds. Let me know if you have any insights...
(e-mail from Elliott's teacher 11/13/13)
Recently I taught an art class to a bunch of
first graders. The assignment was to paint like Michelangelo. I had already
taught the lesson to fourth graders, third graders and second graders and it
had been a fairly successful project. But I was skeptical about how well six
year olds would manage the logistics of the task. Especially Elliott.
The directions went something like this: Put on a smock.
Select six paint colors. Take them to a designated spot at one of the tables,
where there would be a paint brush, a dish of water and some paper towels. Put
one paint color on your brush, then carefully lie down on your back and slide
under the table. Find a line drawing taped to the bottom of the table and
start painting. When your brush is dry, carefully come out from under the
table, stand up and get more paint. To change colors, get your brush wet and
wipe it on a paper towel. Try not to get paint all over everything, especially
yourself.
With the level of planning, precision and caution required,
I didn’t expect much from anyone. Especially Elliott.
The first grade group was the largest one yet. Since I was
preoccupied for much of the class time repeating instructions, wiping spills,
refilling paint dishes and redirecting the lost and confused, I paid very
little attention to Elliott. He took his paints straight to a spot at a table
and slid under. He never asked for help. I had no idea what he was doing.
Toward the end of the 20-minute painting time, I checked in
on him. I squatted down and peeked at his painting. I held back my tears.
“I did it, Mom,” he smiled proudly.
After regularly receiving reports from teachers like the one
that came in yesterday’s e-mail, I never expected to see what my son had
accomplished in less than 20 minutes with no direction or help whatsoever. If I
hadn’t seen it myself, I wouldn’t have believed it.
Lying on the floor, painting on a paper taped to the
underside of a table, my six-year-old experiences movement, novelty,
inspiration, expression. He is fully engaged and motivated. Sitting at a desk,
staring at a black-and-white print out, he experiences tedium, frustration,
confusion, fatigue. He is fully bored and lost. Unfortunately, my kid just
can’t learn in scenario two. He’d rather lick tissues.
When it comes to public school education and traditional
assessments, I don’t know how to change things to help my child succeed, but I
do know this. My kid is no dummy. He’s not ADD or retarded or difficult. He’s simply
uninspired. Please, dear educators, find a way to understand the difference.


3 comments:
Nice post, Amy. I remember plenty of classes that I would have rather licked tissues than sit through. Maybe art is Elliot's calling. All that color and freedom and form is exhilarating and fun.
Amy - this truly AWESOME. I know that personally, I'd have dumped paint all over the first time I had to come up. And to this day, any attempts at even casual drawing are usually unrecognizable.
Elliot is a fantastic kid, and I'm glad he's finding out his gifts so well.
I'm keeping a copy of this picture on my computer desktop at work.
Beautiful.
Post a Comment