Monday, May 4, 2020

best-ever banana bread


Since we've been sent into house arrest we seem to end each week or two with over-ripe bananas. And since I have adapted a recipe online to be healthier, which I swear my children don't know I do, I figured I should document how I make this (if only for myself) so as not to forget our version of the best banana bread ever.

Everyone online is proffering up their version of the best banana bread. Especially now that everyone in quarantine is into making banana bread. Perhaps it's because we're all home to see the bananas turn to that perfect leopard-like state. The uneaten stragglers in the bunch aren't turning black and fruit fly-infested and headed for the bin. Or maybe baking in general is just on the rise as we sit at home and stare at the oven wondering what to make next.

In any case, after months of making banana bread (yes, way before we all became bread bakers), I can officially say that this is our best-ever banana bread—healthier, moister, more flexible and more banana-ier than the competition.

Best-ever banana bread
with thanks to Sally's Baking Addiction for the base recipe

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together in a large bowl:
2 cups flour (I use 1 cup unbleached all-purpose, 1/2 cup whole wheat and 1/2 cup almond meal. Totally flexible here - sub gluten-free flours, more whole wheat, whatever)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon (could also introduce some other spices here like ginger, nutmeg, cardamon - I would just go for a 1/4 teaspoon extra so you don't overpower the banana)

Warm on the stove in saucepan until melted:
1/2 cup coconut oil (can also use butter or other light tasting oil, which wouldn't need to be melted of course)

Whisk into the oil (off the heat):
3/4 cup maple syrup (I like Grade B for baking, which has a darker, richer flavor - or you can use coconut sugar, honey or, if you must, brown sugar)
2 eggs
1/3 cup plain yogurt, sour cream or buttermilk (I use whole milk plain yogurt - I do not recommend anything non-fat here)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Then stir in:
3 mashed over-ripe bananas
handful of chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
handful of chocolate chips or pieces (optional) (I really like Hu gems for this - they are quite bittersweet and have no refined sugars)
tablespoon of rum (I have not done this, but I have no doubt that it would be an outstanding addition)

Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake for 60-65 minutes until a skewer poked in the center comes out clean or it just looks done. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then pop onto a rack. I advise you to let the loaf cool 1-2 hours before attempting to slice, but I never adhere to this advice. An hour is a long time to smell this deliciousness wafting through the house and not do something about it immediately. The loaf won't stick together for that first slice, but it still tastes great.

No comments: