Wednesday, December 30, 2020

One more poem to end the year


What I believe 

I believe in drinking whiskey in a sunset 
or the ginger fur of a cat splayed out 
in a golden slice of afternoon. 
I believe in the constancy and comfort 
of warm yeast and apples. While 
a potted hibiscus in a backyard in Illinois 
is an act of rebellion, I believe. 

I believe there should be as many words for love 
as there are for clouds or colors. 
When you see a ghost, 
it’s best to call it by name, I believe. 
And while there is no cure for heartache, 
I believe the smallest surprises, 
like a group of ladybugs being called a loveliness, 
are a balm. 

I believe in rubber boots and garden gloves 
and chainsaws to tear down the overgrowth 
blocking my view. I believe 
the dead can feed the living 
in shredded bark and last year’s leaves 
or in what was penned by poets and prophets 
and people who loved trees. 

I believe in getting some air and taking a lap 
or another loop around the block. 
I believe in downward-facing dog. 
I believe most bad moods can be cured 
in a hammock, with a clear view of the sky. 

As difficult as it can be, I believe in rest.


© 2020 Amy Wolgemuth Bordoni


No comments: