Tuesday, April 1, 2008

privacy


Over the last several months, Liam has become quite modest. When he has to use the bathroom, he wants me to come and turn the light on but then he'll dance around in the middle of room and say, "Go out now, mom. Close the door." Same with getting dressed. He'll disappear into his closet for 10-15 minutes, selecting his outfit and completely dressing himself. God forbid anyone open the door. Even just a knock to say, "Is everything okay in there?" elicits a loud, "Nooooooo, don't open the door!"

So, I guess I should have suspected why he would make this sign and tape it (by himself) to his bedroom door. I vaguely remember him picking up a marker and a piece of drawing paper and saying, "Mom, how do I spell 'closed'?" But I was still surprised (and amused!) to see it on his door when I put him to bed that night.

"Liam," I said. "Why did you put this sign on your door?"

He shrugged with a shy little smile, "Sometimes I just need a little privacy."

No comments: