Sunday, March 30, 2008

smart cookie

My friend Ann gave me the recipe (which originally came from Cooking Light) for these delicious breakfast cookies. I used to make them often and then I lost the recipe and kind of forgot about it. I found the recipe in a cabinet a few days ago and made the "cookies" this morning. They are hearty and healthy and, oh, so good. Enjoy for breakfast, mid-morning tea, afternoon pick me up and late-night snack. If you can stick to four a day, you're doing well.

Breakfast Cookies

3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. melted butter
2 eggs
1/4 c. chopped dried figs
1/4 c. dried cranberries
1/4 c. dried blueberries (I add, but it's optional)
1 t. vanilla
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. unprocessed bran
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. allspice
1/3 c. chopped walnuts (original recipe calls for 1/4 c. sliced almonds)
2 t. granulated sugar

Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in dried fruit and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in nuts. Drop by 1/4 cup measures and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Cool 2 minutes on pans; then cool completely on wire racks. Makes about a dozen oversized cookies.

No comments: