
In an effort to be as frugal and minimalist as possible, we have been counting our pennies over here. And, truly, it is long overdue. We are not big shoppers, but put me in a grocery store and I struggle to stick to the list. The trouble is compounded by the fact that I am running to the store every other day. So lately, I just haven't gone. Of course, the problem with the abstinence approach to grocery shopping is that then there's nothing for dinner. And when you're keeping an iron grip on the greenbacks, ordering pizza is out of the question. So I threw together this minestrone with what I could find in the house. And it was good. Suprisingly good. Way better than pizza.
Last-Minute Minestrone
:: Heat
2 T olive oil
:: Saute
2 shallots or 1 onion, chopped
2-4 c. chopped veggies (I used cabbage, carrots and zucchini)
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1/4 t. salt
:: After 8-10 minutes, add and bring to a boil
4 cups broth
1 cup water
:: Add
1/4 c. small pasta (I used rings)
1 t. italian seasoning
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
:: Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-15 minutes. In the last few minutes, add
2 chopped roma tomatoes or can of tomatoes
1 can beans, rinsed and drained (I only had white kidney beans)
:: Top with grated parmesan cheese and more parsley

No comments:
Post a Comment