Friday, January 9, 2009

bella

My aunt (and faithful blog reader) recommended the movie Bella to me. I have never written about a movie on my blog, but this one truly lives up to its name. So many independent filmmakers are set on making films that are raw and real, but for most, the only way to achieve this, is to make them dark and depressing. Even films like Lost in Translation and Magnolia (two of my favorites) leave a lingering ache of sadness. Although the difference is subtle, Bella, both raw and real, shines light. Don't get me wrong, it's not a light film. It's main characters both suffer deeply, but they also make choices we rarely see in movies, choices that are brave and triumphant, and, like the main character in the Kite Runner, choices that allow them to be good again. The beauty of this movie is elusive, maybe because it's so simple. But it's in everything - the story, the filming, the characters, the music. It made me think and feel and cry. Most importantly, it reaffirmed my belief in the redemptive power of family and friendship and forgiveness, especially forgiving yourself. Thanks, Deb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the suggestion on the movie, I watched it this weekend and it was truly moving. An amazing story of redemption and consequences. I have suggested it to everyone I have talked with.