This weekend I reconnected with my aunt Bobbie who recently wrote a sweet, creative, kid-focused book called Tea Parties with a Purpose (check out her blog for a peek). One of my favorite memories of Bobbie is an afternoon where we discovered we both suffer from an inability to pronounce common words correctly and ended up in tears as Bobbie confided that the word she could never get right was "enchilada," but then she couldn't figure out how to say it wrong. You had to be there, but, trust me, it was funny.
So, I shouldn't be surprised that today I couldn't get my mind off enchiladas. I was craving them, but I couldn't find a recipe that sounded quite right. This left me putting together about three recipes and making up my own version. Not to brag or anything, but they were awesome. Although I didn't measure my ingredients, I think this recipe is pretty close. In honor of Bobbie, I call them Chicken-Mushroom Onchiladas.
Chicken-Mushroom Onchiladas
2 T olive oil
2 diced shallots (about 3 T)
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/2 - 1 T butter
2 cups (or 1/2 boned) rotisserie chicken
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 can enchilada sauce
1 small can diced green chilis
6-8 flour tortillas (or 10-12 corn tortillas)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2-3 T sour cream
Saute shallots in oil for 5 minutes or so. Add mushrooms and saute 7-8 minutes more. Add butter while cooking if pan gets dry. Add chicken and cream. Turn off heat. Pour some enchilada sauce onto a plate and coat both sides of a tortilla. In center of tortilla, layer 1/4 cup of mushroom mixture, teaspoon of chilis and 1/4 cup cheese. Roll and put in lightly oiled 9x13 baking dish. Continue until all the mushroom mixture is gone. Top the enchiladas with a couple additional tablespoons of enchilada sauce, sour cream and remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment