Wednesday, February 4, 2009

it started with a sticker


Last night, right before bed, Liam pulled a sheet of animal stickers out of his craft box (thank you, uncle Mark and aunt Jamie) and, with great enthusiasm, declared that he needed to make a forest picture. Immediately. In one of my unusually patient and relaxed moods, I let him do it. Then as he was putting the title on his drawing, he asked me if I could find him a CD because he wanted to write a song.

"Honey," I said. "You can't just write a song onto a CD. Maybe we can work on it tomorrow."

But he was determined. So I found an empty CD case, cut a piece of construction paper and let him create the cover.


After convincing him that I couldn't work a microphone or dad's recording software but that Andrew could record his song in the morning, he agreed to wait. But as soon as he woke up, he put his half-awake face right up into Andrew's sleeping one and whispered, "Dad, time to wake up. I need to do a song on CD."

I just love how this kid's creative process works. From sticker to drawing to piano solo. And although he carried the theme all the way through, the end of the song just cracks me up. Where did this boy come from?

Liam's Special Wild Forest Song

2 comments:

Henry said...

How precious! This child has definite talent! Unreal. Really. Thanks for sharing his sweet voice with us. :-)

dbirkey said...

Fantastic, Liam! I want this as my ring tone! Keep it coming!