Tuesday, April 14, 2009

escar-what?

Never cooked with escarole? Me neither. But today our organic vegetable delivery included a huge head of it, and rather than let it wilt in the vegetable drawer (as I am sure I have done before), I decided to find something to do with it asap. Lucky me. The box included a recipe (attributed to Italian cooking goddess Giada de Laurentis) for Escarole and Bean Soup.

I'll just cut to the chase. I made the recipe and it was super easy, super fast, and super awesome. Absolutely delicious. (Two of us nearly ate the entire pot full.) Who would have thought this bitter, waxy green would cook up so tender and flavorful?

If you're one of those who have never cooked with escarole, try this. It may become your favorite soup recipe ever. Of course, if you don't like it, please call me. I'll come right over.

Escarole and Bean Soup

2 T olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 head of escarole, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
1 (1-ounce) chunk of parmesan
1 can white beans, rinced and drained
salt

Heat olive oil in large, heavy pot. Add garlic and saute about 15 seconds until fragrant. Add escarole and cook until wilted. Add broth, beans, parmesan (as a chunk - I think that's part of the yummy secret) and a pinch of salt. Simmer about 5 minutes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...and the "ESCAR" goes to...Amy's Husband for washing all the pans and pots it took to cook this...