Friday, November 13, 2009

to the friendliest boy in town


Dear Elliott,

This morning I had errands to run and daddy thought I should take you with me (mostly because you were crying to go), but I was in a hurry and I wanted to run around alone. I sighed, and I took you. Because here's the thing, even with the extra time of strapping the car seat and towing you along by the hand, being with you in a public place makes my day. How many mamas of two-and-a-half-year-old boys can say that?

You, Mr. E, are an uplifter. You are a greeter, a welcomer, the friendliest boy in town. Every single person you see, you greet. "Hi!" you shout to the cart collector. "Hello!" you bellow to the old lady passing us in the parking lot. "Hi, hi, hi, hi," you repeat to the grumpy man who wouldn't typically give any child the time of day. Every person within shouting distance gets blessed by your friendliness. And nearly every one looks pleased to be noticed. A few stop to talk. Most say "hi" back. At the very least, we get a smile. There are times, like this morning, when I get teary eyed carrying you around. I get to be the proud mama of the blessing boy. It is a beautiful privilege indeed.



In addition to being gregarious and kind, you love to be silly. You wear funny things. Wigs and sunglasses are your favorites.

Yesterday you had to wear a little hospital gown and hospital socks. It wasn't so silly. You needed a procedure to check your tummy and mama and daddy dreaded it, but you were incredible. I will never forget the ache I felt looking at you on the scale with your little gown on and then watching you be wheeled away on the gurney. It is the worst moment for a parent, knowing that your little boy's care is completely out of your hands. It is in those moments when we have to have the most faith, knowing God's hands are underneath it all.

I also will never forget how much and how dearly I got to snuggle you yesterday. Even when I am an old, old lady, I will remember how your hair smelled and your warm little body felt all nestled into mine. A friend recently asked if it was really worth it to have kids. If for nothing more than than the snuggles, I give a resounding "yes"!

But there is so much more.

We always think that we have a lot to teach you - letters and numbers, not to bite, how to eat with a fork, the list goes on. But truly, you are teaching us, sweet boy. You are teaching us to be friendlier, to be curious, to be awed, to be silly, to be affectionate, to really love life. Without you, Elliott, we would miss so much.

Whenever we are out somewhere and you say hello to a couple people, you turn to me, look me in the eye and say sweetly, "I said 'hi.'" For a while I thought you were looking for approval or affirmation. But now I think you are encouraging me to step it up. "Look, mom," you're telling me, "I'm not hiding my light under a bushel. I'm out there. I'm brightening people's days. You can, too."

Elliott, you make me want to be a better person. Now, if that's not the sign of a remarkable child, I don't know what is.

Thank you, my friendly boy. You are a treasure.

Love,
Mama

1 comment:

karen said...

Okay, okay, you've convinced me:)!