Tonight was our church's second ever Third Tuesday Supper. Brought to life by a few visionary members, this event is - in my humble opinion - the greatest thing our church has done. Every third Tuesday of the month, tables are beautifully set, a delicious dinner is prepared, and from 5-7 pm the doors are open - to absolutely anyone. No charge. No strings attached. There is no donation basket, no soup kitchen atmosphere. This is a communal supper, shared by all. Both nights so far, we have served over 200 guests - probably an equal mix of people who attend our church and people from the community, young and old.
Liam and Elliott and I arrived at 5 pm and ate with a single mom and her teenage boy and an older woman who was clearly stretching her pennies and couldn't get over that the meal was free. After talking about high school and gardening and how fast kids grow, we excused ourselves and got to work. Aprons and name tags donned, Liam and I set about clearing plates, refilling water pitchers and visiting with friends and strangers, while Elliott worked the room and got showered with attention from the 5th and 6th grade girls who love him so.
My favorite part of the night was watching Liam approach people who had finished eating. "May I take your plate, sir?" "May I take your plate, ma'am," he'd say. It was the sweetest thing, and impressive, considering my only real instruction to him was to "use good manners."
I love that my five year old is serving people, especially people who are not used to being served. I love that my two year old is free to entertain, especially in a room of people who don't normally get greeted by an enthusiastic toddler. I love that elementary and middle school kids not only know my kids by name, but that they sweep them into a huge embrace every time they see them. I love that at this place, with these people, we can be the hands and feet of Jesus. I love that we not only feel at home, we are home. This is why my kids have a church family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Great stuff, Amy.
Amen!
Post a Comment