Thursday, December 17, 2009

salt dough magic


I have been longing to do crafts with Liam this Advent but my outside workload has made the extras near impossible. On Tuesday morning, however, Liam had his friends Ava and Abby over and I took a break from work to be fun, crafty mom with salt dough. A neighbor had made ornaments like these with her kids and they looked doable. They were actually easy enough for five year olds to help with start to finish. Cheap, easy to clean up, and very gratifying.


To make the salt dough, we stirred together 4 cups of flour and one cup of table salt, then mixed in 1 1/2 cups warm water. Using my hands, I got the dough together into a ball in bowl and then dumped in out onto the counter and kneaded (with the help of my friends) for about 8-10 minutes. Then I rolled the dough out and let the kids each cut out four ornaments. With the dough that was left, they made snowmen, using whole cloves for buttons and eyes. Everything was baked at 325 for about 30 minutes.


Painting was everyone's favorite part. I used a wooden skewer to make holes in to top of each ornament before they went into the oven and then punched the skewer back through as soon as they were baked. None of this is rocket science, but the process and the results made three little artists very proud.

No comments: