Friday, December 18, 2009

why my kids have a church family - part 2

This Advent, I have been working. A lot. Most mornings I leave the house before anyone is up in order to get to work (at my coffeehouse office) as quickly as possible. As a result, there hasn't been a lot of focus to our Advent preparations. Oh, we have a tree, and the stockings are hung and, when we can sneak it in, some cookies get baked. But as far as a Christmas focus, my boys' anticipation (I am embarrassed to say) has more to do with Santa than with a baby in a manger. I have vowed that beginning this weekend, after I finish up the big project I am working on, there is going to be a lot more focus on the baby Jesus around here. I don't want my kids to go through a whole season and miss the meaning.

Imagine my surprise when last night, past bedtime, as I am, in the ninth hour, making chocolate-covered pretzels to send to school with the gift cards we have to rush out and buy this morning, Liam beautifully and innocently jots this note to his teacher in her Christmas card:

Dear Mrs. McCloud,
Merry Christmas
We give you this present because Jesus was born on Christmas.
From Liam B.

Well, what do you know. Despite my unprepared busyness, a little person is getting the message. And it wasn't like he was pleased with himself or that he even thought the note was so special. It's just the way it is. We give each other gifts because God came as a gift to us.

And so it goes, again. This is why my kids have a church family. When we fail to find time or focus to share the true meaning and motivation behind our love and actions, we've got a team backing us up. Whether he's sitting in church coloring while the choir sings, or in Sunday school gluing popsicle sticks on construction paper, or clearing plates at a free community dinner, or being hugged and high-fived by a family who is sharing and spreading this awesome gift, my son gets more than I could ever give him. Best of all, he ends up teaching me. Thank God for that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more, Amy. And having a family of faith for back-up at Liam and Elliot's age, imagine how important it is in the teenage years! I can't even express my gratitude for the youth group volunteers and mentors that each of my kids have had . . . significant adults who've come alongside when Mom and Dad have dropped off the "cool" list and issues of faith are often up for grabs. God provides . . . bread and people along with salvation and grace. Gratitude. Immense gratitude.