Tuesday, February 9, 2010

back to basics :: small change number two

Last month I wrote that I (and, by default "we") was (were) going to participate in a movement to make one small change a month in order to try to be more earth friendly. Our January effort to cut back on the flow of paper into our house was a bigger task than I ever imagined. It is astonishing how much printed material goes straight from the mailbox and the curb into the recycle bin. Over and over again.

Here the change: Now every time I receive something I could care less about (which, for me, is nearly every catalog, flyer and circular that comes in the door), I login to Catalog Choice (thank you, Ann!) and get myself off that mailing list. Or, as a last resort, I find a number to call. So far I'm doing it. Not sure yet if it's working. But it feels like more of a conscious effort.

This month I again decided to tackle one small change that would reduce our environmental footprint in some miniscule way as well as help me with my effort to simplify. And I chose... no pre-packaged convenience foods. In other words, make all meals from scratch.

Okay, this probably sounds like the opposite of simple, but in my view, "simplify" ultimately means to pare down, to de-clutter and to get back to basics. Taking simple, wholesome ingredients and making good, easy meals fits into this picture. Plus, the amount of trash that piles up when we eat mostly meals pre-packaged vs. the amount of trash that's left after cooking a meal from scratch is huge. I would love to know how often my grandparents filled a 30 gallon garbage can when feeding six kids three meals a day. It is frankly embarrassing how much trash and recycling is generated by our little family of four on a weekly basis. I am guessing we generate at least three times as much garbage as they did.

The other added bonus of our new way of eating is that we save money. Not surprising, I know. But, still, for someone who has had a habit of running to the store every other day to "pick up some stuff for dinner," getting back to basics in the kitchen is a relief in more ways than one.

Our twice monthly organic fruit and vegetable delivery from Timber Creek Farms helps keep veggies at the forefront of all our meals, and is yet another way to keep the packaging waste to a minimum. If you live within 100 miles of Chicago you MUST check this out.

Anyway, here's what we're eating for dinner:

:: Big baked potatoes with toppings (for the Brit: baked beans, for Liam: loads of fresh parmesan, for me: broccoli and cheese)
:: Crustless quiche any and every way (here is how I make it)
:: Black Bean Burgers (Liam practically made these alone - five stars!)
:: Mediterranean Soup and any other good homemade soups I can convince my dear husband equals dinner (bread helps)
:: Gingery Chickpea & Tomato Stew (five stars!)
:: Spaghetti, sometimes with bolognese sauce
:: Beet risotto or other types depending on what came in the vegetable delivery
:: Lots of variations on our favorite penne, greens and beans

And, of course, bread and bread, and cookies and cookies.

I plan to make pizza soon. Although I imagine that is one area where we'll cave. Not sure I could ever match Home Run Inn.

Any other ideas?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, having allergic people in the house is a great motivator for cooking from scratch most of the time. Some time we should just trade recipes. Especially those mexican chocolate cookies (not that my allergic people can eat them.)--Cara

lizw said...

Here in snowbound DC, we're on day 5 of being homebound. That means all homecooking, and without additional grocery shopping. From the slim store pickings before the storm, I grabbed a head of cabbage, a couple of onions, some brown rice. Man do those things last. We snacked on spicy coleslaw (no mayo) and stuffed it in wraps for lunch. I made a Thai-style onion soup and added cabbage slices for heft. A big pot of brown rice served as a casserole base for a few meals...But don't count out all "packaged foods." We had some Trader Joe's chicken sausages with spinach and fontina--they add lean protein and lots of flavor to omelets (for Tim) or rice dishes.

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

Lizzy, you are a girl after my own heart. Amazing what can be made with what's in the pantry. Thanks for the ideas. Hope you're going easy on the apple cider vinegar. :)

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

p.s. 5 days is a long time. Have you taught Tim how to cook yet??

prairievisiondesign : handmade said...

I would say it takes up to a year of Catalog Choice-ing to make a significant difference but it works. There are days now we don't get any junk mail and that is great! Me not spending time/money with catalogs is an added bonus.