Thursday, June 3, 2010

a boy I'm just discovering



Wednesday afternoon we signed up for the summer reading clubs at the library. By 9 a.m. Thursday morning, Liam had already read and logged five books. He chose the first 15 books on his own, checked them out on his own, and is reading them on his own. Since I am still in awe of this seemingly impossible development, I usually sit and listen. I especially like the Arthur books. I think I've read all of them aloud before, but with this new little voice expressively reading them over, it's like we're hearing the stories for the first time.

Thursday afternoon, as a last day of school treat, we headed to the Carnival in downtown Wheaton. Liam wasn't interested in any of the tame rides for younger kids. He wanted to be thrown around in the bucket seat of the Sizzler. Unfortunately he wasn't tall enough to ride alone. Although I knew I was making a mistake, I agreed to sit with him through one ride. For the first half of the ride all I could focus on was the fact that we would be goners if a bolt came loose. For the second half of the ride I focused exclusively on not throwing up. Liam, however, was having an entirely different experience. Holding on for dear life, using every ounce of energy to keep his head up and eyes open, he exclaimed, awestruck, "I think I know what my high point is today!"

From reading to reckless life endangerment (spoken by the one who is still nauseated 15 hours later), my son is slowly peeling away from me. Although expected, it's surprising. Although beautiful, it's heartbreaking. My little boy is fading away and a new boy is emerging - daring, focused, passionate and smart. I've loved every year so far, but I really think - bittersweet though it is - six will be my favorite.

1 comment:

Bobbie said...

Amy, you were such a great reader when you were small. Six is going to be an awesome year. Both the boys are so precious (and your big boy is pretty special, too!) Hugs and smiles