Tuesday, June 15, 2010

dishing up more than pie


You're probably tired of seeing what's in my pie plate, but I can't help it. I love summer food: growing it, making it, eating it. All year round I make frittatas. But when the veggies are local and fresh, these spur-of-the-moment inventions rock. I've put nearly every kind of leftover, vegetable, herb, cheese, you name it in this pie dish. Smothered it with eggs and baked it. Some have outshone others, but we've never ended up with anything we didn't really like (at least, not me). Last week I made the frittata pictured. It was maybe my favorite ever. I guess I knew it would be, which is why I was a geek and took a picture. I even consciously thought about what I was doing as I made it so I could write a recipe down. This is an especially great dish to make the night after you serve spaghetti. You'll actually make use of the leftovers rather than let them sit for a month in the fridge and then finally throw them out. Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this. Excuse me, the only one who used to do this. Now I have spaghetti frittata. And now - no more excuses - so do you.

Spaghetti Frittata
Handful of leftover cooked spaghetti (with or without the sauce)
1 T olive oil
2 small zucchini
6 eggs
3/4 t salt
1/4 t fresh ground pepper
Splash of milk (optional)
Few snips of fresh rosemary or other herb (optional)
Couple ounces crumbled feta cheese

Spray pie plate and spread out spaghetti to cover the bottom. Heat oil and saute sliced zucchini until just beginning to soften. Put zucchini over spaghetti. Whisk together eggs, salt, pepper and milk and herb (if using). Pour over zucchini. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes.

Lately I've been leaving out the milk since we're keeping Elliott off dairy. Adding it just gives the dish a little fluff. I actually like it better without. Also, since I put feta on this particular frittata, Andrew wasn't a big fan. This means I had to eat all the leftovers by myself. Yeah, I felt really bad about it, too.

2 comments:

Jacki said...

I hope you keep this coming! Your helping my future summer dinner plates bloom!!!!!!!!! Gracias!

Chrissy said...

This sounds so yummy. We have zucchini growing in our garden. Can't wait to harvest and make this.