Thursday, October 7, 2010

weekday morning muffins

I have struggled with the breakfast battle for months. The "What do you want to eat?" question leads to frustration for my eaters who usually want something I am not prepared to offer. So lately I haven't been giving a choice, which sometimes gets grumbles, but is so much easier and quicker for all. One of the weekly specials includes muffins, which I can whip up blind in just over 20 minutes start to finish (with only 5 minutes or so of hands-on time). They are adapted from the Mountain Biker's Banana Muffins recipe from Simply Colorado, a healthy cookbook that once belonged to my ever-nutritious grandma. Add a side of homemade applesauce and this fresh-baked breakfast would make her proud.

Quick and Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffins

3/4 c. unbleached white flour
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. almond milk (or cow's)
1/3 c. olive oil
1 t. vanilla
1 egg
1 large banana, mashed
1/2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

Stir together dry ingredients in mixing bowl. In small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk milk, oil, vanilla and egg. Add wet ingredients to dry along with banana. Stir until just mixed. Gently stir in blueberries. Cook in sprayed muffin tins at 375 for 15 minutes. (Also great topped with maple nut granola as last step before baking.) Makes 12 smallish muffins, which will probably be polished off in less time than it takes to make them.

2 comments:

Jacki said...

Didn't I say, get that cook book going over there? Can I come over one morning for some 'morning muffins?' your good....

Anonymous said...

I like your muffins.