Monday, February 28, 2011

some things you might not know about Elliott


I realize I haven't written much about Elliott. School has been wonderful for him. Weekly we are amazed by the new developments, like speaking in full sentences and counting to 10. On the daily report his teacher sends home, he is 100% of the time "happy" arriving and "happy" departing. And every day I receive an absolutely gleeful "HI MAMA!" when he runs into my arms at pickup. After which I ask him how his day was and he reports (every time), "I had snack." We can see where his priorities lie. He is an intense animal lover (although most animals are a little overwhelmed by his advances, particularly the way he likes to bury his face in their fur), a goofball and, lately, a very mischievous boy. Here is a little peek at what he's been up to.

1. If he doesn't like what you are doing, such as disciplining or putting him into bed. He'll say, in a very petulant, drawn-out way, "Hey!" and look at you like you just trumped his best hand, and cheated. Although it adds to the inappropriateness, it's hard not to laugh.


2. If there's a button, he'll push it. On a regular basis, we hear the CO2 test alarm going off, the phone pager ringing or the TV turning on. If there's a light on, consider it off. And heaven forbid you leave the camera lying around. He has a knack for self-portraits. On one download to the computer, I discover 47 of them in a row.

3. He has a thing for wine. Actually, he begs for it. Not good, I know. Last night he took a big swig from a glass I thought I had placed well out of reach. His triumphant smile was priceless. So was his brother's earnest inquiry after he set the glass down. "Elliott," Liam whispered. "How was it?"


4. He can't live without blankie. It is falling to pieces and dirty as all get out. But it is still dearly loved. And it is by far the most photographed object (as evidenced by the artistic closeup here), after his face.

5. He kicks butt in Twister. Not that he understands or follows the rules but he knows a good take-down opportunity when he sees it and will wrestle his brother to the ground in seconds. He also pretends he knows exactly where the colors are when we call them out, and he's usually wrong. His brother thinks he's hilarious. And he loves that.


6. He is obsessed over the animals that live outside. As such, he is an avid window watcher and animal (and neighbor) identifier. We always know when a squirrel or a bird is in sight, or our neighbors Ava and Mia are going in and out of their house. Every time he looks out the window he see something and he excitedly calls it out to us. Every time. However, the nest residents who he has never seen concern him. "Bird sleeping?" "Bird go night-night nest?" he points and asks every time we go outside. He is constantly checking that what I told him is true as he has never seen the nest birds himself. Now that I know Elliott, I am amazed by how many things the average human believes without seeing. Imagination and faith take a lot of courage. I have the honor of watching my son develop his.

7. He never fails to remind us when it's time to pray. At mealtimes he will close his eyes tightly and sway and bounce while we sing our dinner prayer, like a little mystic. Or he will blurt out silly two-word phrases and belch, like a little rebel. Either way, it's hard to keep a straight face during a prayer in this house.


8. Lately he has become an incredible mischief. Left alone for a minute the other day, he completely emptied his dresser and half of Liam's.

9. Potty training has become difficult because any chance he has to disrobe and/or be in the bathroom is a chance to take a bath. And our son does not take well to being told that he can't have a bath no matter what time of day it is or how many baths he has already had in the last 8 hours. The water conservation argument does not help drown out the pitiful pleading of the naked boy standing in the empty tub. "Bath, bath, bath, bath, bath..."


10. He is an original and a beauty. Just like his brother. And we love every inch of him. But that, you probably already knew.

2 comments:

Tara Burghart said...

Forty-seven self portraits!? Priceless! Beautiful post, Amy. Two amazing boys you have there.

Molly Grace said...

Very cute!!