Tuesday, May 3, 2011

richard simmons' chili

I haven't posted a recipe in quite a while. Mostly because I've been in a cooking rut. If it isn't a fish stick, an omelette or a pizza, my family hasn't seen it. Tonight, with no plan for dinner, I was suddenly craving chili. After a last-minute ingredient run, I whipped together this dish in 15 minutes. My mom gave me the recipe many years ago and told me she got it from the Richard Simmons show. Whether or not Richard Simmons really ate it, this chili is super fast, super yummy, super healthy and kids love it. I've made it so many times I don't need to look at a recipe anymore. That really helps when you're running into a store with no idea what to make for dinner. Or, if you're really good, you'll just keep the ingredients on hand. Now that's an idea.

Richard Simmons Chili
1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb ground turkey
1 T chili powder
2 cans stewed tomatoes, Mexican style if you can get them
2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinced
1 cup frozen corn

Saute onion in olive oil for a few minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Stir in chili powder. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Simmer 15 minutes (less if you're rushed or can't wait to eat). Top with shredded cheese. Applaud yourself for making a nice dinner and eating healthy. My, you're good.

No comments: