Sunday, October 5, 2008

the lure of the boob tube




Soon after my little sister was born (happy birthday, Liz!), I remember my stepmom adamantly asserting that she was not going to allow Liz to have Barbies. I felt a little hurt by the remark. Afterall, I had loved Barbies and didn't think they had adversely affected me. But mostly I thought, good luck with that. Keeping girls from Barbies (or whatever they have evolved into today) is like keeping kids from the screen. A nice aspiration but, if you've got a TV in your home, a nearly impossible reality.

However, not by plan or decree, Elliott has not seen a program or video in his first 17 months. In fact, these photos, taken a couple days ago, document the very first time Elliott sat still and truly watched TV. His brother obviously has a little more experience.

I mourned just a little to see the second one succumb to the lure of the boob tube. But I'm sure a little of that mind-numbing screen time won't ruin them. Afterall, their aunt Liz turned out to be an amazing woman and, yes, she owned her fair share of Barbies.

No comments: