For preschool this week, Liam was assigned to bring the snacks. When the note came home last week, it specified that on Thursday they would be celebrating his birthday. Although his birthday is in May and could feasibly be celebrated at preschool during the month it actually happens, I figured they had their reasons and we'd just follow the note and bring a less healthy, more celebratory snack for Thursday.
After school, I picked up Liam and we made a quick detour to Starbucks to buy some ground coffee for the morning. When I realized he was in a great (and talkative) mood, I suggested we sit at a table and share a cookie. I proceeded to ask him about his time at school that afternoon. How was music? Which parent read the stories? Did everyone like the snack?
"Well, AJ didn't like the snack but everyone else did," he said, taking a bite of cookie.
"Did they sing to you?" I asked
He looked at me confused. "No," he said.
"Was it like a party?"
He raised an eyebrow and stopped chewing. "No," he said.
"Well, did they at least say happy birthday?"
He sat back in his chair and gave me a very teenage-like sidelong glance. "Mom," he said, with finality and a slight edge of sympathy, "It is not my birthday."
Yes, well, thanks for clearing that up, honey. And for giving your mom a very long laugh.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wait i don't get it. Was the note about celebrating his birthday just wrong?
Apparently the note was wrong. He didn't seem to be aware of any sort of birthday "celebration." But his reaction to my question was absolutely priceless. It was like, poor mom, she is really confused. And then since I couldn't stop laughing, he started laughing. It was funny, very funny.
Post a Comment