
On Friday in DC I spent several hours in the National Gallery. As I stood in front of the Cassatts and the Degas and the Monets, I couldn't stop the tears. Here's what I decided: I need to get out more. It has been far too long since I've stepped foot in an art museum. Alone was good (very good!) but next time I want to bring Liam. So next week the two of us have a date at the Art Institute. We'll take the train, have a picnic lunch and take a little tour of the Impressionists. I can hardly wait.

Before leaving for DC, I whipped up this cute little hat for a baby shower. I am proud of it on several levels. It was the first baby hat I knit in the round. The first pompom I've ever made. And the first time I started following a pattern then changed it and did my own thing. And it worked!
The pattern I adapted is Gnomey Hat from Hello Yarn. I skipped the ear flaps, skipped a few knit rows near the top (on accident) and added the pompom. I used Felting Natural Yarn from Bernat, and I loved how it was slightly uneven and chunky. Did I mention that I'm proud of this one?
p.s. Mark, I am knitting your hat. I promise. I really am.

3 comments:
i have wonderful memories of taking the kids to the art institute . . . and i can relate to both the emotional response to good art AND the ache to get back. i gave a talk once on "How to Feed Your Child's Hunger to Learn" and urged parents to not just offer supplies to their children (paper, crayons, markers, etc) but to inspire them with large helpings of excellent art . . . it's so fun to relive these things through you, amy!
the AI might be a good place to meet up some time...maybe early summer when Sarah can come, too. ;)
You are in large part an inspiration in this area, Deb! And, Ann, yes, yes, yes!!
Post a Comment