Monday, March 23, 2009

who knew eggs could be this good

Over the years, I have thought about being a vegetarian. Serious thought about it. For sustainability and humane reasons, I would never argue that axing meat from a diet is a bad idea (other than having to endure the grief you get for it - sorry, Tim). But, I have never become a full-time veggie because I am just not sure I could give up bacon. We use it sparingly but tonight was one of the special nights I fried it up in the pan. And this is the fabulous meal the carnivores in this house inhaled. Licked the plates clean, we did. (Thanks Cookie magazine for the inspiration.)

Rigatoni Carbonara

8 slices bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
8 oz. mushrooms, cut in quarters
8 oz. rigatoni pasta (or similar shape), cooked
4 eggs
1/2 cup grated parmesan

Saute bacon and onion in big frying pan over medium high heat. When the onion is soft, add the mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are soft, onion is caramelized and bacon is crisp. mmm... Whisk together eggs and parmesan. Turn the heat down to medium low and add pasta and egg mixture. Stir until pasta is well covered and egg is cooked. So, so good. (If you are not a vegetarian.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Warning to all husbands: This dish requires every the use of every single pot and pan in the kitchen.
You know, the type that don't fit in the dish washer.

Yeah...