Thursday, October 15, 2009

apple cardamom bliss

Today is cold, grey and rainy, and although I have too much work to be baking, I just couldn't resist making this apple cardamom coffeecake to eat with my afternoon tea. (I cut the recipe out of the newspaper years ago and don't even know who to thank or attribute it to.) If you love apples and pie-type spices and, well, cake, then you must make this recipe immediately. As with any delicious dessert-type dish that's made in a 9 x 13 pan, I recommend you plan to surprise a friend or neighbor with some slices. Not only will they think you are a fabulous baker, you will be saved from eating the whole pan by yourself, in one sitting.

Apple-Caradmom Coffeecake

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 to 1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup oil
1 cup sliced almonds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups chopped apples (skin on is fine; the tarter the better)

Stir together flour, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, brown sugar and oil. Put 3/4 cup of the mixture in a separate bowl and mix with almonds to make the topping. Set aside. Mix baking power, baking soda, egg and buttermilk into the original flour-sugar mixture. Fold in apples and spread in greased 9 x 13 pan. Batter will look kind of like caramel. Cover with topping. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Note: If you don't have cardamom among your spice jars, I highly recommend buying cardamom seeds at an Indian store (if you have one nearby). I grind the cardamom seed in my coffee grinder and the smell is awesome. Can't get fresher than that.

No comments: