Thursday, October 1, 2009

what money doesn't buy


Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant. -Horace

I love to give gifts. And for years I would buy gifts even if I didn't have the money to do it. Now I just can't do that, but I hate to give up the gifting. Enter the sewing machine. Oh, how I love you, sewing machine. But, I wonder, if I had the money, if I didn't have to give my spending a second thought, would I know how much much I love to sew? Would I be as thrilled about the gifts I give as I imagine the recipients are to receive them? There are advantages to an empty pocketbook. I guess I never imagined that feeling richer would be one of them.

1 comment:

Carmen said...

you always say it so well - so many of your posts are exactly where i am.