Monday, December 21, 2009

not the day we planned

It was to be a cookie-making, card-delivering, gift-sewing, visiting-the-enchanted-railroad-at-the-Arboretum kind of day. But as soon as Elliott popped a little wooden star into his mouth, it was not to be. Two hospitals, one ambulance, six nurses, five x-rays and nine hours later, the nickel-sized star is out and the tired boy and his mama are home. We are grateful for a skilled pediatric gastroenterologist, getting the same anesthesiologist we had once before, kind practitioners all around, nine more days of deductable-met insurance, a grandma who sat with us all day and dear friends who descended with hugs when I slipped in late and empty-handed to our annual neighborhood cookie exchange tonight.

It was not the day we planned, but it is a day that ended well. And that makes it a very good day.

5 comments:

jaime said...

Oh Amy, I'm so sorry to hear that your family endured such a terrorizing day. Thank God that little Elliot is okay. This is a great reminder for me because Aubrey is extremely oral and I often find her with mouthfuls of toys and such.

As always, thanks for sharing your life with us.

Jaime

Andrew said...

Wow...what a day.

So glad to hear that it ended well.

prairievisiondesign : handmade said...

Oh my goodness!

Chrissy said...

Glad that Elliott is okay. What a day.

So glad that your deductible is already met too.

Emily said...

Oh how totally awful! What a terrible, scary ordeal. I am so sorry to hear it and hope that everyone is ok now. I hope your Christmas is peaceful and beautiful!