Sunday, January 17, 2010

kind of lame when a sewing machine is in the house


Last night when I was tucking Liam into bed his tooth came out. This is the second baby tooth he's lost and the second time we could think of nothing better to do than to put it in a baggie under his pillow. As soon as he fell asleep, I snuck into my horribly messy office/studio (content for another post someday) to unearth a bit of material to sew into a tooth fairy pillow. I had envisioned making one from a scrap of old quilt that once belonged to my great grandmother, all vintage-y and sentimental. But I decided this flannel monkey scrap would be a better fit for a five-year-old boy. After all, he kind of looks like a monkey and he has PJ pants to match. Plus, the pocket holds magic, in the form of money. Lots to like.

By the way, it's probably pretty obvious that we save money around here by inflicting haircuts at home. This was a bangs-in-the-eyes, before-school rush job. Frozen in a photo it is quite clear to me that it needs to be fixed - soon - because I can hear the future ridicule already: "You let me walk around like that? Really?" Poor kid.

3 comments:

MostlyFlumxdArt said...

Love this little pillow. We had a cute little bag that probably came with jewelry but lost it years ago. Now we make do with a plastic bag too. You might have inspired me to make a bag on our own now...

Jaime said...

Love the tooth fairy pillow. My older girls have personalized ones that I bought online, but I think I will be making them for Aubrey and Hannah.

As for the haircut, it's not as bad as youthink, but I would be glad to help you out with a bit of tweaking if you'd like.

Emily said...

Look at him! That photo is a keeper.