
There's nothing that means more to me than a handmade gift. For my last birthday, my neighbor Heather sewed this beautiful, one-of-a-kind scarf for me. My friend Sabine knit me a cute, stylish slouchy hat. My neighbor Nancy made me a scrapbook (totally amazing). And my friend Ann, stitched this fabulous table runner that makes me smile every time I walk into the dining room. A gift of any kind, at any time is appreciated, but something that took someone time and effort and creative energy is special indeed.
This is why when people hand make gifts for strangers, I get really choked up. Which is exactly what happened when I read about the Red Scarf program on Craft Hope last night. In a nutshell, the Orphan Foundation collects hand knit or crocheted scarves - all in red - to send to teens who have aged out of foster care and are starting college or a trade school. It is a simple, caring gesture that says, someone you don't even know is rooting for you.
One quote I read said this: "I received my red scarf and cannot describe how I felt that entire day wearing it. It made me smile because although no one knew it was handmade for me, I knew that it was and that made it special." I am a sap. But, really, this is the kind of thing that should make anyone tear up. At least a little.
The great thing about this project is that even a beginning knitter can participate. Craft Hope is collecting red scarves for this project until Valentine's Day. And they can be sent with a note of encouragement, and even a gift card if you like. What an amazing way to tell someone who's had a tough time that they matter and make the world a tiny bit better.
I was planning to cast on for my first sweater soon, but first I think I'll be knitting in red for a while instead. Check out the Craft Hope page to learn more, and if you knit, get some red yarn and join me!

1 comment:
Thank you for posting about this organization. I spent a chunk of time looking at the Orphan Foundation website - what an incredible organization.
I definitely have a heart for young kids who don't have homes but I rarely think about the older ones. Startling (and so sad) to realize how many age out of the foster system each year.
Post a Comment