Monday, January 25, 2010

good will hunting and sunday pie


Yesterday afternoon my friend Heather and I spend nearly three hours scouring Good Will for good stuff. I picked up this pile of yummy sweaters, not because I plan to wear them but because I plan to transform them into something like this. I also scored a pair of long J Crew jeans in my size (a huge find for a tall girl) and a couple great sweaters (to wear). I am not a shopper. It usually makes me tired and sick feeling, unless I'm at Good Will. There, I feel right at home. It's really cheap, inspiring and adventure filled. Plus, it's better for everyone and everything to buy things used.

Getting away for three hours on a Sunday afternoon was a treat, and needed after a long morning home with my boys. Elliott had a bad cough and we didn't want to take him to church. Since Andrew was playing guitar in the service, I had to stay. I hate missing church. But rather than be all grumpy about it, I decided to be nice mom and let the guys do pretty much whatever they wanted, including building a massive fort in the dining room and painting. I also let Liam make one of his famous "cakes." Usually these are completely inedible, but somehow the planets aligned and the concoction I pulled from the oven actually looked and smelled quite tasty.

I quizzed Liam on exactly what he mixed into it. (He is supposed to ask me before he uses each ingredient, but you never know.) Upon assuring me that there were no "secret" ingredients, he popped up on a stool and divided his dish onto three plates and insisted that I try his "Sunday Pie." I will not lie. It was delicious and the entire thing was gone in less than 20 seconds.

If anyone wants the Sunday Pie recipe, Liam says to mix up some graham crackers, marshmallows, chocolate chips, chocolate sauce, peppermint chips, sprinkles and melted butter, then cook it in the oven. If you think that sounds like a minty s'more, you'd be right. Liam told me that if I keep being nice mom he'll make me Sunday Pie every week. I just might.

2 comments:

dbirkey said...

I could collect pretty sweaters for you at The Closet -- the ones that have a stain or a rip that make them unusable. I just finished sorting at The Closet and have a car full of clothes for Good Will. Want me to keep you in mind?

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

YES!