In my mind, there are some recipes, although I don't know where they originated, that belong exclusively to my grandma Gaye. Just a bite of one of these dishes transports me and yet I never asked her for any of her recipes, even my favorites. I guess I figured they wouldn't be nearly as satisfying or happy-inducing if I made them myself. Today I no longer have the woman, but I do have access to the recipes. And so I'm making them. Her chicken salad was a crowd pleaser. We'd pile it on our plates at baby showers or family potlucks, right next to the homemade bread and fresh-pressed applesauce. Serious happy overload. Gaye must have enjoyed the salad, too, as the recipe appears in her box three times. I made it Saturday morning and have eaten it for nearly every meal since. It's delicious and good for you. For that reason alone, I don't think she'd mind me sharing it.
Grandma Gaye's Chicken Salad
3-4 cups cooked chicken (she roasted her own bird, I cheated and bought a pre-cooked rotisserie version)
2-3 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup chopped celery
4-5 chopped green onions
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 t. honey
1 t. salt
Mix last five ingredients (the dressing) and combine in a big bowl with the first four. Serve room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold. Really good either way.
Note: I imagine that this recipe would also be good spiced up with a little curry or dill. However, my kids will eat it just the way it is, which feels like a major feat. I don't plan on ever altering it, but please let me know how it turns out if you do.
Monday, April 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment